Looking for at job abroad?

You can look for answers regarding your stay and unemploymentbenefits below. If you don't find what you are looking for we recommend that you use the chat or call us on 70 13 13 12.

For how long can I be abroad on unemployment insurance benefits?

You have the opportunity to apply for work in another EEA country for up to three months while receiving unemployment insurance benefits from Denmark.

You have to register with the local job centre in the city you go to. If you do not know where to find it, you can ask at the local city hall or library. FTFa is not familiar with the location of job centres abroad.

You can take your unemployment insurance benefits with you abroad for three months if you:

  • Are a citizen of an EEA country
  • Are a member of a Danish unemployment insurance fund
  • Live and reside in Denmark on the day of departure
  • Have been unemployed for at least four weeks. However, dispensations can be made.
  • Are eligible for unemployment insurance benefits the day you leave
  • Have applied for EEA-unemployment benefits before you leave Register at the local job centre in the city you travel to
  • Are available for the labour market in the country you travel to Remain in the country in which you have applied for EEA-unemployment benefits

If you do not find work in the country you have gone to, you must return to Denmark and register at the job centre before the three months have passed. Otherwise, you will lose your eligibility for unemployment insurance benefits in Denmark.

Can I receive unemployment insurance benefits while I am at an interview abroad?

You can receive unemployment insurance benefits for up to five days if you have an appointment for a job interview abroad. FTFa must approve the stay, so you have to contact us before you go.

You can always go to an interview abroad if you leave and return on the same day. You just have to let us know that you go.

Can I return abroad with my unemployment insurance benefits again?

You need at least 296 hours of paid unsupported work within 12 weeks/three months before you can qualify for unemployment insurance benefits in another EEA country again. For part-time insured members the minimum requirement is 148 hours.

Your work abroad also counts in the hourly requirement.

What is the four-week rule?

You must have been unemployed for at least four weeks in order to be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits while applying for a job in another EEA country, however there are exemptions.

You can apply for dispensations from the four-week rule if you:

  • Move abroad with a spouse/partner who has to work or study
  • Are going to an interview abroad
  • Are a citizen of the EEA country where you wish to look for employment

You have to be able to document why you apply for dispensation. Send the documentation along with your application for unemployment insurance benefits abroad at Tast Selv.


Now streaming: